22 November 2006

Are we camping?


Part 3: of our Buenos Aires adventure. (see below for previous stories)

Let me take this time to say that I consider El Torero a wiz at internet searching. Ask him anything and he can find it. We have enjoyed wonderful restaurants, exciting theater, and stayed at fab hotels and B&B's around the world through the convenience of the internet. For some reason, we just were not as lucky this time. *

*Internet novice suggests: One thing that I have learned from ET is to LOOK FOR REVIEWS FROM OTHER CONSUMERS when internet shopping. There was very little available the in BA the week we went, and in our desperation for an affordable place to stay, we neglected to look for reviews and took the info at face value.

That very same afternoon, after seeing deciding we did not want to stay at "frozen food" we went hotel hunting, and two doors down we found our second hotel. They had "no room at the inn" for that Sunday night, but we could check-in first thing Monday morning. The lady was lovely and assured us at that someone would be around 24/7, that our room was not next to the street, that we had hot water all day and night, etc. etc. The price was also half of the previous spot (this should have told us something) and no breakfast was included (not a problem...GG is a fan of cafe hopping) Tired, desperate, and (again) naive, we made a reservation without seeing the room. We said good bye until the following morning.

The rest of that evening we took a break from thinking about our hotel situation. We had already missed the large street market in our barrio of San Telmo, so we hopped on the Subte (Underground) and went to Belgrano, where we visited a lovely artesian fair. I enjoyed this arts and crafts fair more than any other I saw in Buenos Aires that week. There was beautiful jewelry, leather wallets and belts, wooden utensils for the kitchen, mates (below photo) hand made wind chimes, etc. Everything was very well made, and very affordable. After wandering around for a while we hopped back on the Subte to make our way back to our hotel.



Monday Morning 11:00 am

We arrive at our new "Hotel" a.k.a glorified camping. I call it glorified camping, because I am sure if you have all had that experience of entering your tent of a crowded campsite only to realize that those tent walls are not as thick as your bedroom walls back home. Which means, much to your dismay, that you can hear your "neighbors" chatting all night.
Second, I call it glorified camping b/c of the bathroom:






Do you see a space/shower curtain/or door between the toilet and the shower head? No. Why? B/C there is none.
I will spare you more details of the humidity of the room, the sheets, etc. Instead I will simply tell you, we stayed one night and left at 8:00 am the next morning.

I guess I am not a real gaucha after all!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...this could be made into a full length movie. Maybe they wanted you to shower while on the toilet. It would have saved on water...

Agent EFT said...

Ah... traveling. Francine, getting a little flash back on our 'adventure' in Barcelona. Love that picture of you,"Paaaardon? Were YOU speaking to me???"