
Monday, Columbus Day here in Uruguay, was a general holiday where government employees, banks, and other essential, but not too-essential workers had the day off. For me that meant a day I couldn't get to my beloved books and workstation in the National Library. (I think it might not need explaining, but the words in "red" that become underlined--when the cursor is placed over it-- in our posts are links to pictures, generally the case, or other websites with cool stuff. If you didn´t notice this before, check out previous posts for things you might have missed. =) )
GG and I stayed in reading our respective books and decided to take in another show, this time at the Teatro Solis. You saw a picture of the interior seats in our Heritage Day post. Now let me tell about what it is to see a performance from those seats!
We were fortunate to get top notch seats, roughly dead center, sixteen rows from the front for a performance of the Montevideo Philharmonic led by Alondra de la Parra, a guest conductor originally from Mexico, and founder and artistic director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of the Americas in New York. She's currently working on her Master's Orchestral Conducting at Manhattan School of Music, and is the Principal Guest Conductor of the New Amsterdam Symphony Orchestra. Ms. de la Parra has accomplished all this by the age of 25. If one day we get to see her conduct again (hint: maybe someone who knows how these things work could bring her to Santa Barbara for an Arts and Lectures appearance/performance???) it would be an experience I would invite everyone to see.
The musical melody of Arturo Márquez´s Danzón Nº 2 (1950) started the fantastic evening. GG had never been to a philharmonic/orchestra performance before and was amazed. Ms. de la Parra brought a little dance to her conducting, enjoying the rhythm and sound in a way those of us bound to our chairs could only watch and be mezmorized.
After a brief stage change we were treated to pianist Agathe Leimoni´s interpretation of Edvard Grieg´s Piano Concierto in A minor Op. 16 (1868) with orchestra accompaniment. She played a few other works after rousing applause brought her back on stage.
A longer intermission (a smoke break that many took advantage of to the dismay of those of us who could smell it back in our seats) and then up was Gabriel Fauré´s Pelléas et Mélisande -Suite (1889). (Sorry no link to the music) It was unfamiliar to me, but good.
Closing the evening was a Igor Stravinsky´s Firebird Suite (1919), exerpts which can be heard here and, with a somewhat "interesting" interpretive dance, here. Dark and, yet, brilliant, this suite and concluding performance, along with the opening were my favorite performances of the evening. Ms. de la Parra and the Montevideo Philharmonic received a standing ovation in the end.
We hope to see some more shows in this fabulous theater before leave Uruguay as it is very accessible transportationally (we got there and back by bus) and financially ($13.00 for the two of us were the most expensive seats in the house this evening).
(To you editors out there, I know that "logistically" would have been the correct word, but I am quite happy with the one I made up.)

19 October 2006
The Teatro Solis Experience
Posted by
El Torero
at
10/19/2006 07:01:00 PM

9 Comments:
Beautiful! Gabriel Faure is excellent! We love musical concerts as well; Plus, the Houston Grand Opera is doing Mozart's Don Giovanni starting at the end of the month; We already have our tickets. Of course, I wish they were only $13 for the two of us :)
To music!
What a beautiful place. I like the illegal picture of your workstation. =) I haven't seen the inside of a library in a long time. Have a wonderfull weekend. You're both missed.
GG, you go ahead and keep making up words! I like them, but only because I like you.
It sounds like the two of you are having quite an adventure in Uruguay. There have been so many beautiful pictures that you have shared with us.
Do you spend alot of time reading and at the library?
It is so nice to hear back from all of you. I am glad you are enjoying the pictures and the posts. Yes, music is amazing...and dance. This young woman has to be one of the most talented people I have seen in the arts, especially being so young. She is now on my list of
"Inspirational Females". Want to meet another one? Check out this website: www.sarabaras.com. I was fortunate enough to see her live twice. Now if she would just come to Uruguay....
Alan- The tickets range between $1 for what they say are the worst seats and $30 for the best, normally. But I wouldn't hop on the next plane just to see one... unless you'd be planning on visiting friends, more than seeing shows. That's priceless.
Minamelos- The picture is illegal because 7 days before we got here, the National Library changed their policies to prohibit picture taking of their materials. Some of the librarians believe this policy even includes taking pictures of the interior. But since I am there so often I convinced my favorite one to let me take that picture so that I could show you all where I spend my days.
Cherri- I'm the one at the library ever day! GG gets to go to Spanish classes and have fun with new friends.
Does your approval of word creation change because you now know it is my doing?
Hi, Nice people,
It is great to keep up with you! What a varied entertainment life you lead in addition to your "work".
We really enjoy your communicatons which abate our lonesome-for-you feelings.
Love, H and D
Wow...such beautiful picture! Francine, I love your little workstation. It's perfect, too, right by the window:)
The previous post was me, BTW!
~Alana
That is actually El Torero's work station. =) Ill post a picture soon of the building I take classes at.
=)
-GG
Post a Comment