
I can not say I felt as if I was walking in to a restaurant in Guadalajara, because I have never been to Mexico. However, I did feel as if I was entering some little spot we would find at home in Santa Barbara. La Lupita's Comida Mexicana creates the tastes and flavors of a Mexican kitchen, with a few adaptations for the Uruguayan palate.
As I walked into the restaurant, I was immediately impressed by the style and decor of this Mexican Cafe. Paintings by Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, and symbols of ancient Mayan art gave a sense of ethnic flare, while fabrics and rugs adorned the room with bright colors. El Torero and I chose a small table underneath a caricatured map of Mexico. We located the cities of my ancestors and his family as we playfully mapped out our next trip. It was about 9:00pm on a Saturday night, the typical time Uruguayans START to think about eating dinner. However, we were not the only early birds. The cafe was about 1/3 full, and continued to get busy as the night went on.
Enough about the ambiance. ON TO THE FOOD...
My first squeal of delight came when they brought us tortilla chips, guacamole, "salsa", and sunflower seeds. (Totopos is the name for tortilla chips here in Uruguay. I need to find out why.)
The guacamole was tasty, though of course it had nothing over El Torero's homemade guacamole. The "salsa" was less impressive, as it tasted very similar to tomato sauce. As we munched on sunflower seeds and "totopos" we began to scan the menu. It was all there - tacos, enchiladas, chilaquiles, mole, "rellenos". We had been walking all day around town for the "Dia del Patriminio" and hadn't eaten since noon. Everything sounded good.
I decided to choose a "relleno" de mole, thinking it was a chile relleno stuffed with mole. Right? Wrong. Good thing I grilled the waiter with questions before ordering. "Relleno" simply meant "filled" (of course! We are speaking Spanish, Gaucha!). So, rellenos were the taco fillings. I could choose three fillings for a combination plate with rice and beans. I chose pollo con rajas, alambre (shredded meat) , y pollo con mole poblano. Though Torero was tempted by some of the more exotic sounding Mayan dishes, he opted for a plate of Chilaquiles con pollo and a quesdilla to start. Sadly the menu did not have horchata, though Coronas and margaritas were listed.
Shortly thereafter our food arrived. I am sorry I do not have a picture, but I was WAY too excited to eat. I chose well. My simple corn torilla tacos with "rellenos" were fantastic. The pollo con rajas tasted as if it was slow cooked in a tasty sauce of tomatoes and peppers. The shredded meat was just as tender, with a more subtle flavoring, allowing the taste of the delicious Uruguyan meat to take the staring role. The mole was by far my favorite. Mole is an interesting taste. (Some would say an "acquired" taste, but I think that sounds snotty.) It bears my favourite ingredient - chocolate, along with dozens of other Mexican spices. To me, it is a flavor that takes you back in time.
Sadly, Hugo's choice was not as noteworthy. The chilaquiles resembled a sort of lasagna, but lacked enough juice and sauce to make them really savory. The beans and rice were alright, but again could use some additional flavors. (Tomato, cumin, pepper, SALT.)
My appetite was still yearning for more home-cooking, so we agreed on ordering dessert. El Torero chose wisely this time- pears soaked in tequila with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. Delicious. I toggled back and forth between arroz con leche and the speciality cheesecake of the house. AHHH Cheesecake. I had to choose this. Thanks to my mom, cheesecake is another comfort food for me. With El Torero's help I had no problem gobbling up the large piece they gave me. It was lovely. A tart-like crust, creamy Philadelphia cream cheese filling, topped off with slices of mango. A happy Gaucha I was.
You may think after all this food we waddled back home. Truthfully, I felt great. At home in California I would never say Mexican food is one of my favourite cuisines. But when you are far away from familiar comforts a little bit of soul food goes a long way.
Que aproveche.
12 October 2006
Totopos!
Posted by
La Gaucha Guapa
at
10/12/2006 01:58:00 PM

9 Comments:
Sounds great! Your descriptions are making me hungry. Do you have directions to the restaurant?
The address is Luis de la Torre 565, in Punta Carretas.
La Lupitas
(The link should come up with the map, but if it doesn't, click buscar and it will reload the address.)
The easiest way to get there from where you are on the Rambla is to walk north to Jose Ellauri. Then take Ellauri west towards 21 de Setiembre and make a right (north). Walk two blocks past Ellauri. Turn left (west) on Luis de la Torre and almost walk two full blocks. It's on the north side of the street. You should see a sign on the wall, or another one just above eye level. If you get to Gral. Gregorio Suarez, you took a few too many steps.
It was dark when we went so I don't remember the colors to help point it out better.
Enjoy and tell us what you think!
Hi, Gaucha y El Torero,
Sorry to hear the grand mansion is not in your plans! We had given thought to helping you with the down payment in exchange for the "grandparents" suite.
We do enjoy your descriptions of some of your activities. The food world you are inroducing us to is wonderful.
Sounds like a night at Durango's, without the 2hr wait for food! I love mole too! I'd like to hear more about,"Dia del Patriminio". Did you take pictures? Today is Friday the 13th Oooohhhhhhh.... Do the Uruguayans have superstitions about the 13th? Or are their special days to be fearful of (besides wedding days)?
Yummy... You have a way of making me hungry when I read your blog. I can't even find good mexican food where I live in San Fran, and yet you manage to in Urugua!
Ok, Minamelos, now you have a mission. Find a good place for mole in Hacienda Heights that has faster service than Durango's! I have never actually had mole over chicken, and I think this is the traditional way to serve it. I have always had it in something like an enchilada or taco. One of these years I'll try to make it!
Hello,
I really like the new look of your website. So fresh and clean.
Faith--If you are looking for good mexican food, do they have the food chain "Taco Bell" in San Fran? I think they are pretty good. They do a wonderful job of making you feel like you are in the heart of Mexico. The artwork, music, and people are just as great as the food. Try it out and let me know what you think. My second choice would be "The Green Burrito."
Cherri
hahhahaahhaaha! Cherri is a connoisseur for sure...What a delicate palate. Taco Bell is great when they don't pee in the beef! The Green Burrito is now mixed in with Carl's Jr.'s around the country. You can get a Burger and a Tostada in one stop!
If you feel like being treated like royalty may I suggest a 3rd option, El Pollo Loco. The name says it all (too bad I don't know spanish) but what I do know it's got more spanish in the title then the other two. That makes it more authentic.
=)
YUMMY...good thing it's about lunchtime over here:)
Post a Comment